Hypno-Doula TrainingJul 22, 2022
It is so important for hypnobirthing couples to have a trained birthing professional by their side (especially if planning a hospital birth) to advocate for their birthing preferences and create a supportive, positive environment. A Hypno-Doula receives specialized training in Birth Hypnosis, Breathing, and Deep Relaxation to enable parents to have the best births possible.
Who can attend the training?
- New doulas who would like to begin their journeys as birth workers
- Previously trained doulas or other birth workers who would like to offer hypno-doula services to their clients
- Those who would like to begin their doula careers
- Anyone who would like to learn to support couples who are using hypnosis to prepare for childbirth
What will you learn in the training?
- The philosophy of Curtis Method Childbirth Preparation
- The rationale for doulas in labor
- The History of Birth: Exploring the myths
- The Fear-Tension-Pain cycle and how it affects birthing
- Birth physiology: How does the uterus really work?
- Sphincter Law: How relaxation makes birth easier and more comfortable
- How Nature perfectly designed women’s bodies to birth
- What is Hypnosis and how can it help couples have a better birth?
- Empowering and inspiring birth videos
- Prenatal Bonding: Teaching expecting couples to create “Baby Love Moments”
- Positive Affirmations : Retrain the mind to think positively and move beyond fear
- Facial relaxation/scalp massage/endorphin release
- Hypnosis cues for entering deep relaxation quickly and easily
- Birth Instinct Anchoring
- Active Hypnosis: Using the natural movements and sounds of labor to DEEPEN a mother’s hypnotic relaxation.
- Effective breathing techniques for labor and birthing
- Saving our pelvic floors!
- Optimal nutrition for pregnancy and birth
- Glove Anesthesia: Using the mind-body connection to create relief and comfort
- Light Touch Labor Massage: The Endorphinator!
- The Shoulder Press: Your relaxation “button”
- Entering hypnosis using a special keyword
- Massage, Chiropractic, and other forms of therapeutic body work
- Helping couples create an effective Birth Plan
- What is Informed Consent, and why does it matter in labor?
- Choosing the right care provider
- Helping couples understand their birthing options and rights
- The onset of labor: What is normal?
- Natural labor stimulation
- Optimal Fetal Positioning: Help expecting moms turn their babies into the best possible position for labor. Babies fit into the pelvis like a key into a lock, and getting them lined up properly before labor begins is the KEY to an easier, safer, more comfortable birth.
- Acupressure for pregnancy and labor: Acupressure can stimulate the release of endorphins and help strengthen and regulate contractions.
- Counter Pressure for back labor and pain relief.
- Basic Rebozo techniques to help turn baby into the best position for birthing.
- Aromatherapy and Essential Oils to stimulate labor, ease contractions, relax mama, and create a relaxing birthing atmosphere.
- Light-Touch Massage, scalp massage, hand and foot massage techniques to pamper mama during pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum. This stuff feels gooooood!
- Physiological birth positions: Learn how the female body was designed to give birth, and how to work with gravity more effectively to get that baby out!
- EQUIPPED: how to create a birth Environment that is Quiet, Intimate, Physiological, Patient, Empowering, and Dark (or Dim).
- Packing your ToolBox: What to bring to your birth location.
- Birth rehearsal: hands-on practice of your new birthing tools!
- Placenta Encapsulation and supporting the new mother.
- Hypnosis scripts: Fear release sessions, Breech Turn scripts, Hypno-Anesthesia techniques, Natural Labor Stimulation scripts, and more. This greatly enriches and expands your hypnobirthing preparation
- After the birth: Initiation of breastfeeding, recognizing breastfeeding challenges.
- Caring for the new baby, caring for the new mother
- Grief and infant loss
- Supporting survivors of abuse and trauma
- Recognizing signs of postpartum depression
- The Business of being a Doula: Promotion and finding clients
- Interviews, prenatal visits, being 0n-call, working with a back-up, legal issues, scope of practice, etc.
- Networking and reaching out to other professionals.
Who is the Instructor?
Lauralyn Curtis CBE, HBPLC, CD, CPES and founder of the Curtis Method of Childbirth Education, Hypnobirthing Utah, HypnoDoulas Utah, was trained and certified in childbirth hypnosis by The HypnoBirthing Institute of New Hampshire in 2009. She has now taught well over 1600 couples on the Wasatch Front.
Lauralyn certified as a Professional Labor Companion with the HypnoBirthing Institute, along with completing the Hypnobabies HypnoDoula Course in 2010. She is also a traditionally trained doula, yoga teacher, and Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist. She attended many births of her student couples as a doula, putting into action the techniques that helped moms have their best births.
Laura has trained and employed a wonderful group of doulas for HypnoDoulas Utah to support couples in their birth journeys. She is also the founder of the Facebook group Hypnobirthing Utah, which has grown to over 2200 members, becoming a community resource for couples seeking a gentle birth.
What is the Curtis Method?
The Curtis Method is a comprehensive and updated approach to childbirth preparation and hypnosis, using the best that science and nature have to offer expecting couples. This is a skills-based program, which is customizable to the unique needs of each mother.
Our students practice self-hypnosis cues and relaxation prompts that enable the birthing mother to enter a state of deep relaxation quickly and easily. With these exercises, we are able to quiet the conscious mind and affect change in the subconscious mind through positive affirmations, prenatal bonding and fear-releasing meditations.
In our classes, we learn about the Fear-Tension-Pain cycle and learn how to break that cycle. The deep-relaxation skills we learn and perfect enable a mother to call upon her natural birthing instincts to birth her baby as nature intended: peacefully, joyfully, and without unnecessary suffering.
Our goal is to empower couples through education with the tools they will need to release fear and birth with confidence in any setting or circumstance. A positive birth experience can help smooth the transition from pregnancy to parenting, while facilitating family bonding, emotional resilience, and postpartum recovery. We believe that every mother should be able to walk away from her birth feeling empowered, respected, supported and loved, no matter what path her birth journey takes.
You can read more about the core components of the Curtis Method here:
- Active Birth
- Birth Instinct Anchoring
- Evidence Based Maternity Care
- Our Unique Approach to Birth Hypnosis
- Birth Companion (Daddy-Doula) Training
We continuously update our materials to reflect the most current research in maternity care. This ensures that our content is always relevant, accurate and shown to lead to the best outcomes for mothers and babies.
When and Where is the training?
Browse our upcoming classes for the next scheduled training.
What is the cost?
The full cost of training is $475, which includes all of your class materials. A deposit of $75 will hold your spot, and the remaining tuition balance of $400 will be due before the first day of training.
Current members of the Utah Doula Association are eligible for a discount of $75 off the full tuition.
Doulas who have completed a Curtis Method training in the past are able to attend as “Be-Backs” for half-off the full tuition.
Please note: this is NOT a Curtis Method Instructor training! Completing the course certifies the individual to attend births as a labor support Doula. Curtis Method materials are not given with permission to be used in a classroom setting, whether private or group classes.
Get ready for the journey of birth with our six week intensive training
Get Birthy News, Tips, Discounts, and more!
Join our VIP list to receive the latest news and updates from HypnoActive Birth. Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.
CategoriesAll Categories anxiety birth education birth instinct birth options birth photo birth story birth support birth tips birthing birthing companion birthing companions birthoptions body acceptance body image body positivity breathing care provider childbirth childbirth classes contractions counter pressure daddy doula daddy doula training dads deep relaxation doula doula training fast birth first time mom gas glove anesthesia guided relaxation home birth homestudy hospital birth hospitalbirth hypno doula hypnoactive birth hypnobirth hypnobirthing hypnotherapist hypnotherapy hypnotic anchoring ideal provider inducing labor labor induction labor support labor tips maternity care mental health midwife mindfulness natural birth online birth class online birth education optimal care pain-free birth panic partners positive affirmations self love self-hypnosis the curtis method trainings unassisted birth unmedicated birth